So this Saturday - I put my car on "autopilot" and it drove itself to UAB! I could feel the lump in my throat when I hit this turn and the memories started coming back fast!

and when I reached for my camera, I discovered that the battery was left on the charger at home so all of these pictures were taken with my blackberry and are definitely not the greatest! This is the "old" triage where I spent my weekends for many moons and where Kate, Lucy and myself were all discharged at different times!

When I hit 16th avenue, the lump turned into tears and I realized that it was this exact Saturday last year that Lucy came home from neonatal - this did not help my emotional state! And this my friends...is the Maternal Fetal Medicine building where I also lived for many, many moons!


okay after dealing with the parking deck situation, the tears dried quickly (ugh - dern that UAB parking) but we found a spot and made our way to the new building!

I brought along a "buddy" - the minute she found out that I was going to the hospital - she got a "panic" look on her face and demanded that she went with me!

Emma did so great on the tour and just held my hand and listened to everything the nurses had to say (which was not the case with a two year old named Jordan on the tour with us but that will be my Kate one day so no judgement on Jordan!).
It probably won't surpise anyone if I tell you that I was either biting my lip or wiping tears away the entire tour! When I went in the operating room with Emma - I just kept thinking about the last time we were in an operating room together which was the day she was born!
I thought about taking pictures of the new hospital rooms - like the individual CCN rooms made especially for twins with a sofa, flat screen TV and a sink made like a newborn bathtub so the mom can bath her babies in neonatal (be still my heart) or the lullaby music that will be played every time a baby is born (could have hit the floor when I heard it) or the amazing, amazing new rooms that make the St Vincents rooms look like the ghetto (if I talk about it anymore, I will actually turn the color green) but I didn't because that's not the way I will remember our experiences and Emma declared that she "liked where Kate and Lucy stayed better"! But I will say that my next appointment (for my yearly checkup not anything, anything OB related I promise!!) will be at UAB - that is for certain!

And this picture has absolutely nothing to do with our "tour" today but was on my blackberry camera too and this is Emma and Charlie holding hands in my car which they did the whole way home from picking Emma up at school the other day - pure sweetness!
I wish we could have seen you guys since we were also touring! It's definitely going to be a big change in the new building but hopefully a change for the best! I would have loved to have these rooms when you guys were here! It would have been the most fun room on the floor! Miss you guys!
ReplyDelete