Monday, September 19, 2011

happenings

well, I've been up to my old tricks and I've had a little bit of a self-revelation lately. Let's just say that I might be lacking in the common sense department {ie "street smart" if you will}. And this has been going on for quite some time and I will never forget the look Wade gave me during a Christmas lunch when I asked the question "why do you have to throw Christmas trees away when you could just replant them?" which really felt like a legit question. After that, my brother called me "jessica" for quite some time and wade told me that I needed to REALLY think through comments/questions before announcing them to a crowd - it's quite possible why I find myself quiet in large groups. There's lots more comments similar to the tree question but I'll spare you the details. ANYWHO - my life now pretty much completely relies on common sense and not as much on academic which is not good for my poor children. ya'll - I have had some stories lately. There is no doubt in my mind that God created emma to be as laid-back and go with the flow as she is because He also created me and knows what a hot mess I can get myself into.

just to get the post kickstarted I ran over emma's stranded bike soon after she started school.


and for her first soccer game, I dressed her with her shin guards on the outside of her socks but whatever. I mean it wasn't like every other child out there had them on the inside or they did. whatever. {somewhere my brother just face-planted into his desk because I have only gone to one million trillion of his soccer games but apparently didn't pay much attention to the attire}. and emma could have cared less. she also could have cared less when we met the wrong teacher at meet the teacher day at school - I feel certain most people know that story but ask me next time you see me if you don't - its a doozie.


but despite my "jessica" moments lately, we have been having lots and lots of fun.










and it feels like it's officially "fall" with the start of preschool.


and the little girls got the sweetest most precious teachers EVER and are loving it as much as emma loves "real school." and her real school feels a lot like her preschool and I just recently discovered that her principal actually went through seminary and felt like his calling was to be in education which you can feel instantly as you walk through the front doors.


and girlfriend LOVES soccer as much as she has loved gymnastics. fistpumps and leg kicks for our new activities {do ya'll read that blog??!!??}. she was a little weary about oh you know - KICKING the ball during our first game but we bought a goal and she goes out there every afternoon practicing. bring it - game #2.


I'm telling you this has easily been the best and most fun year since my girls have been born. It's almost like this cloud has lifted and we have shifted from a survival mode to a fun mode. NOT that the past two years haven't had fun moments, it's just something has changed as they've gotten older and more independent and we're not looking back.


and my favorite part of her first soccer game was meeting her new best friend from school and her family and they were so WONDERFUL and SO sweet. let's just do another leg kick mmmkay.


and please don't forget the littlest of the littlest ballerinas. And after kate stopped screaming at the top of her lungs and I stated "I'm so glad that I just paid a thousand dollars to torture my child in ballet", it was preciousness beyond preciousness watching them dance. It was a painful first five minutes but a more than wonderful forty minutes following the dramatic introduction. If you would like your heart to melt, please join me and watch a room full of 2 1/2 year olds in ballet attire.


and that's a wrap for this edition of what in the world the watkins have been up to - see you next month.